I saw this on a youtube video, and I thought it would make a fun blog topic!
1. I’ve been riding since I was 6 year old (nearly 22 years ago!)
2. I didn’t ride at all when I was at college, but I did ride 6 horses, 6 days a week each summer I was home.
3. My first horse was actually a buckskin, QH type. Unfortunately, we only had her for a year before we found out she had fairly serious bone cancer and needed to be put down.
4. I didn’t start riding with an eventing trainer until 2014. Before then, I had only ridden hunter/jumpers.
5. I received my bachelors degree in Economics Finance.
6. I work in the Hedge Fund world… doing compliance and operations.
7. My favorite colored horse is black… with minimal chrome
8. I rode one horse for more than a decade. He was an OTTB, and the first horse I got on after I recovered from breaking my hand and getting surgery. (Even before I got back on my own horse at the time)
9. My favorite breeches are the Romfh Sarafina breeches… I just can’t justify more than 1 pair for shows and clinics.
10. I have worn some of the most expensive helmets on the market… and I still prefer my OneK. (although the new technology in the Back on Track helmets make me think twice.
11. I have no desire to ever go beyond Training level eventing… The upper levels just are never going to be my cup of tea.
12. My favorite horse I have ever ridden was a fairly poorly trained Irish Sport Horse, who could jump the moon.
13. I am a dog person… but I do give the barn cats love whenever I am at the barn.
14. I hated Stubben saddles growing up… and now own 2 that I really like.
15. Both my left ankle and my left wrist suffer from the remnants of some old ligament injuries.
16. The only bone I ever broke around horses happened on the ground… lunging my old horse.
17. I almost took a job out of college that would’ve forced me to spend a year and a half out of the country. It was a higher salary than the job I ended up taking by $12,000, but it was completely the right move.
18. I hunter paced about once a month each fall and spring while I was a young teenage. I keep trying to get back to it, but haven’t found an opening. (Totally different leopard App below)
19. Some days I seriously consider quitting eventing, buying a western saddle, and just trail riding. May wouldn’t care much either way… as long as we don’t go straight Dressage.
20. I used to play Eventing 2001 with a friend of mine… religiously.
21. The only time I have ever fallen off of May was in front of Marilyn Payne in her clinic. It was nearly 2 years ago, and I haven’t written about it yet.
22. I worked in NYC for nearly 3 years. It was a 3.5 hour commute to the barn to ride my horse at night… and then a 45 minute commute home… all to get up to catch the 6:14AM train the next day… but NYC is an experience.
23. I have one, older sister.
24. My mom lives in Florida… but about 3.5 hours from Ocala.
25. I drive a Subaru, and it has gotten me out of some seriously icy and snowy situations. I wish I had it when I was going to school in MA!
26. My favorite saddle I have ever ridden in is a Butet… but I have never owned a horse that one would fit.
27. I might have a serious chocolate addiction.
28. My favorite non-horsey store is Lush. (Can I count this as a horsey store if I say their bath products are my favorite after a long day in the saddle?)
29. If I could live anywhere in the U.S., it would be PA in the summer and Aiken in the winter.
30. I would love to try fox hunting, and I think May would really take to it. She has no issue with dogs whatsoever, and tends to be very logical in a big group of horses.
All that being said, May is doing great with her fitness. I have a new vet coming on Saturday to do an evaluation and recommend if there is any maintenance we should be doing. (May had her hocks injected in Summer 2016, but hasn’t seemed to need them redone until recently.) Do you do any maintenance with your horses?